About prayer; I like to say… it’s like our heart beat. Necessary…..I don’t have to show everyone that my heart is working… if heart is working people would know it, do you know how? Yes, you are alive and healthy. Prayer is also like that… you can hear, if you listen closely. You can feel… if you submit yourself… but for others… they will know the way you act.. alive… healthy.
“Prayer is a conversation between Father and His child”.
Jesus taught that effective prayer must be:
1. Unselfish—not only for oneself.
2. Believing—based upon faith.
3. Sincere—honest of heart.
4. Intelligent—according to light.
5. Trustful—in submission to the Father’s all-wise will.(UB 144:3.17)
Some people don’t know how to begin this conversation. Some people talk but won’t listen. Some people listen but don’t hear. But an effective conversation needs both listening and talking. Prayer also needs both of these because when you tell your needs or desires or thanks you deserve to know what your own Father thinks about it or what is His message for you. Our Father loves to talk to us.
In the begining I didn’t know how to pray.. I just read psalm 23 then list my needs and would wind up my prayer with the Lord’s prayer. I am not saying this was a bad prayer. I know Father listened to my prayers with lots of love. But then He taught me that He likes a conversation. He was talking to me but I didn’t try to listen. Maybe He will give what we ask, sometimes He will say ‘wait’, sometimes He suggests ‘No it’s not for you, sometimes He may say ‘I would like to give you something better’… so if we don’t listen, how do we know what He is thinking?
Now my prayer is like… first, I remember the Creator, our Father in Heaven who gave His son for this world to bless us to know Him, Jesus, who came here, gave his own life for us, showed us how to live, and opened a bridge between the Father and us, then the Holy Spirit who blesses us to be with our Father in Heaven through Spirit guidance.
Then I submit myself to God… then to my family. Then I pray for our neighbours, for prayer requests etc… then ask Him help for guidance in my life, tell Him my needs but finally I will tell Him that, ‘it’s my will that your’s will be done through me’. I believe that this is the most important part in the prayer. I usually ask Him things, sometimes I get them… sometimes I don’t. If I compel Him for anything, I am sure He will give them to me because He is a loving Father but I don’t know what are its aftereffects… if I ask Him, does He like me to have this… He will check these things and if they are good for me, He will give them to me… otherwise not. Then I’m not disappointed because I know that’s how I pray.
When you pray go to your room or find a quite place, then…
1. Invite Father’s presence through reminding that how beautiful He is taking care of us today. Thanking Him for that.
2. Submit yourselves to Him.
3. Seeking help for our problems or asking things or telling Him our tensions or thanking Him. (body of our prayer)
4. Wait a few minutes to get a response… maybe you will feel a specific part from your book to read, or a verse comes to your mind or a word from the book… if you don’t get anything like that take your book in your hand and tell him ‘Father, I am your child, please talk to me through this part’.. then open the book.. read the page 100% sure you will get answer for your prayer. I am doing this for the last 10 years.
5. Thanking him
6. Lord’s prayer
7. Hallelujah. I love to say this word. I heard that Angels sing this word to Father all the time.
Also when I pray, I find a quite place. You can talk to your Father from anywhere… but we are humans, our mind don’t get that much concentration. So a quite place will be good. Remember, Jesus went to quite places frequently. Then pray on your knees and keep your book in your hand. Close your eyes… begin your prayer.
Prayer is like pouring out your heart to your Father in heaven. Father is always listening to your heart. When you cry He is in pain because You are His beloved child. We have to understand His love for us first… it will help to heal our pain faster. The world will forsake you, your own mother will forsake you… but He… our Father in Heaven will never forsake you. He will be with us forever. Keep this like a cornerstone of your faith. And talk to Him every day. Be close to him. The basic fact of every relationship is ‘conversation’… Talk to Him… Listen to Him… and Follow Him… and His teachings.